Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sing Early, Sing Often

Yesterday when I was holding that sweet baby boy in my arms and singing a lullaby to him, I thought of the large billboard in town proclaiming 'Sing Early, Sing Often!   O how important it is for both parents to sing to baby, especially while floating in the silent sea of mommy's womb! It sets up a longing to give voice and craving for rythym even before the language skills settle in. Music gives a child an early mathematical advantage and teaches them how to 'hear'.

The Poet Tagore wrote one of my favourite quotes: 'God respects me when I work, but He loves me when I sing!

Sadly in this day and age, the general consensus is why make your own music when all you have to do is download any music you like and listen to that?
It is wonderful and I do it all the time, but it is NOT making your own music and I think the world is poorer because of that.
I applaud anyone (especially boys!) who go against their peers and actually gasp! join the choir or glee club!
North America has a rather puritan outlook on music making, and if by chance some one does attempt to sing in a local pub, chances are they would be hustled out! Whereas in Ireland (for example) the patrons would most likely join in!
And that brings me to my next question: if your church is not making a Joyful Noise, why not?
Before I get down from my soapbox and put it back behind the curtain, may I plead with parents who have ears to hear: that you enroll your child in a music programme and most important, that your child learn to read music and SIGHT READ as well! Any choir in the land will be clamouring for a sight-reading songster. I only wish I had that particular training.
Blessings to all who sing from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment