Sunday, August 11, 2013

We have no "Official Weather' at Quail Hill

When we first moved here 6 years ago, we were confused as to why the weather forecast for our Valley was so often WRONG.
Turned out there was a good reason. According to the Government Met dept (In Ottawa, Ontario where they determine these things), our Valley is part of the Same Weather System as Pat Bay where the Victoria International Airport is located. 
Obviously these characters have never looked at the map. We are on the Other Side of the Malahat Mountain, in the rain shadow and quite a distance from the perpetual ocean breeze that blows and cools down the Airport Control Tower and surrounding area.
Simply put: Our Weather is NOT Their Weather.
It's all very well to predict for today, buckets of rain and temps ranging in the low 20's - ahem! as I write this, the sun is shining and the current temp is hovering around 27C.
When I was a Girl Guider (many moons ago) one of the crafts that we got the girls to do was make their very own 'willy the weather worm' for their camp hat. 
The note pinned to the worm read as follows:
If I'm dry, it's sunny.
If I'm wet, it's raining.
If I'm moving, it's windy.
If I'm gone, it's a HOWLin' Southeaster and batten down the hatches!
I think I need to make a few and mail them to the idiots at the Weather Office in Ottawa along with a map with our Valley highlighted in yellow so they can find it.
Then again, I'll just make a few for our puzzled guests and save the postage!

No comments:

Post a Comment